Moving is exciting, but also requires planning, preparation and organization. INB has put together a comprehensive checklist of actions that you should complete or keep in mind before, during and after your move.
When you have your new address:
- Complete a postal change of address form and an IRS Change of Address Form 8822 (Call 1-800-829-1040 to obtain IRS form.)
- Notify your utility companies of your change of address.
- Update your driver’s license, pet licenses, voter registration, and any vehicle and vessel registrations.
- Verify new school schedules and enrollment requirements for your children.
Before your move:
- Make arrangements with a moving company or reserve a truck rental
- Make any necessary travel arrangements for your family, including car rental, airline or hotel reservations.
- If you rent, inform your housing office and landlord of your expected departure date. Coordinate getting your deposit money back.
- Compile moving day supplies (boxes, tape, rope, etc.) and pack boxes securely, labeling each with contents.
- Sign up for services such as gas, trash removal, electric, water and more at your new residence.
- Create an inventory of your possessions and ask your insurance provider about moving and storage coverage.
- Assemble and organize important papers for your family, such as birth certificates, insurance papers, medical and dental records, and other documents.
- Save moving receipts. Some moving expenses are tax-deductible; consult your tax advisor.
Don’t forget to notify:
- Physician’s offices, dentist’s offices, pharmacies and other health care providers and services
- Gas, trash removal, electric, water and any other home services
- Your child’s school and/daycare provider
- Tax and federal tax authorities and other government agencies
- Insurance companies, banks, credit card companies and other financial institutions
- All subscription services
- Family and friends
Download Electronic copy of the Mover's Checklist